Bored Ape collectors found themselves facing an unexpected challenge after attending the ApeFest party in Hong Kong.
Their encounter with peculiar eye discomfort left them in discomfort and raised eyebrows.
It is believed that the event’s organisers may have opted for cost-saving measures, using UV lights primarily meant for sanitization purposes. However, this decision had unintended consequences, leading to irritation of the eyes and skin among the attendees.
The eye ailment, referred to as photokeratitis, is more commonly known as “snow blindness” or “welder’s flash.” Typically, this condition affects individuals who have not adequately shielded their eyes when welding or when exposed to sunlight reflected from icy surfaces.
Numerous event participants had to urgently seek medical attention due to severe eye pain and issues with their vision. In response, various online discussions offered guidance to those grappling with this painful condition.
“Woke up in the middle of the night after ApeFest with so much pain in my eyes that I had to go to the hospital,”wrote one attendee, CryptoJune, in a Nov. 5 X (Twitter) post.
The creators of Bored Ape, Yuga Labs, issued a tweet addressing the incident, albeit with a delay of two days. They acknowledged that only a small fraction of attendees had reported “eye-related issues.” Still, they advised anyone experiencing symptoms to “consult a medical professional as a precaution.”